Welcome to Teaching Science Together

Welcome to my blog!

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Germination

In class the other day we discussed the process of germination. Although I remembered some things about this topic, I felt that I could learn more. I found this picture which is very clear and helpful in visualizing the process of germination. When teaching this process to your class, it may be helpful to provide them with a visual aid like this one, or you can even have your students prepare their own visual aid of the process as a science station activity. 
Just like humans have a life cycle, so do plants. They start as a seed which you plant in soil and when the seed is in the soil it collects nutrients to help it grow. When the seed begins to grow this is the process of germination. The seeds will first sprout a primary root, then the hypocotyl (or the stem) straightens out and the cotyledons (or the seeds) come out from the ground as the stem straightens. The main root enlarges and the side roots come out as well as the leaves. And that is the process of germination. It was so much easier that I had a visual aid to walk me through the process. 
There are a few things to keep in mind: a seed's growing condition usually needs to be damp, warm, and dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment