Welcome to Teaching Science Together

Welcome to my blog!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Rocket Launch

Over spring break I went down to Florida. While I was there I had the opportunity to observe the Delta IV Rocket launch. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life! This rocket which launched on March 11, 2011 from Cape Canaveral in Florida carried a top secret military payload. Although I did research the contents of the rocket, but because it is all top secret I couldn't find much information. Here is what I did find: "The NROL-27 payload supports the national defense and all information about its mission and goals is a classified military secret. Some outside observers say NROL-27 may be a powerful military communications satellite for relay of vital national security data rather than a signals intelligence satellite." (Universetoday.com)
Although the location of Cape Canaveral was very distant from where I was staying, I was still able to clearly see everything that was going on. I saw the cloud of fire and smoke underneath it prior to launch and watched it sail over the ocean and into the sky. Like I said it was amazing! I captured some pictures to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment